By Michael L. Cain, Carol Kaesuk Yoon, Anu Singh-Cundy
Discover Biology is helping scholars turn into biologically literate students—to development from technological know-how to medical literacy.
Written from the floor up for nonmajors, Discover Biology is the single introductory biology textbook to give continually utilized positive aspects in every one bankruptcy that not just reveal biology’s daily relevance, yet educate scholars the right way to flow from easily knowing middle organic options to actively making use of these strategies to our quickly altering world.
Read Online or Download Discover Biology (4th Edition) PDF
Best biology books
A newly revised variation of the traditional reference for the sector this present day? up-to-date with new phrases, significant discoveries, major scientists, and illustrationsDevelopmental biology is the research of the mechanisms of improvement, differentiation, and progress in animals and crops on the molecular, mobile, and genetic degrees.
Environmental edition performs a massive function in lots of organic and ecological dynamical platforms. This monograph makes a speciality of the learn of oscillation and the soundness of hold up types happening in biology. The publication offers contemporary examine effects at the qualitative habit of mathematical versions below diverse actual and environmental stipulations, protecting dynamics together with the distribution and intake of meals.
- Abiotic Stress Biology in Horticultural Plants
- Auditory and Vestibular Research: Methods and Protocols
- Molecular and Cell Biology of Human Gene Therapeutics
- Nanomaterial: Impacts on Cell Biology and Medicine
Extra resources for Discover Biology (4th Edition)
What will happen next? indd 6 12/4/08 4:52:38 PM their predictions. Along the way, hypotheses will be supported, modified, or discarded. Slowly, through this selfcorrecting process, scientists come ever closer to a more accurate understanding of a biological phenomenon. In the meantime, debate about Pfiesteria is likely to remain heated. Some researchers hypothesize that Pfiesteria, and possibly toxins produced by Pfiesteria, is also causing human health problems in the study area. And some biologists hypothesize that the fish die-offs are ultimately caused by big businesses—including factories and pig farms—that dump waste into waterways, causing outbreaks of killer strains of Pfiesteria.
The plants then produce seeds, which develop into young plants. Some multicellular organisms can also reproduce without sex—for example, by simply budding off new individuals, as sponges and some plants do. Familiar houseplants, such as “mother of millions” and spider plants, can produce tiny plantlets that drop off of the parent plant and take root independently. Whether organisms produce seeds, lay eggs, give birth, or just split in two, they all reproduce using a molecule known as DNA (deoxyribonucleic [dee- OXee-RYE -boh-noo- CLAY-ic] acid).
2. In everyday language, we use the word “theory” to mean an entirely unproved explanation. What do scientists mean when they say an idea is a theory? 3. 6°F. Which of the shared characteristics of living things does this phenomenon demonstrate? 4. Why is a virus considered nonliving? 11). The hierarchy has many levels of organization, ranging from molecules at the lowest level up to the entire biosphere at the highest level. In scale, the hierarchy ranges from one-millionth of a meter (the approximate length of a molecule) to 12 million meters (the diameter of Earth).