By Terry Pratchett
For greater than 20 years, Terry Pratchett has been regaling readers with stories of Discworld--a flat international balanced at the backs of 4 elephants, that are status at the again of a big turtle, flying via house. it's a international populated by means of ineffectual wizards and sharp-as-tacks witches, by means of drained policemen and devious dictators, via reformed thieves and vampires who've sworn to drink no blood. it's a global that's drastically various from our personal . . . other than while it isn't.
Now, within the Wit and knowledge of Discworld, a number of nuggets of Pratchett's witty observation and sagacious observations were compiled by way of Pratchett professional Stephen Briggs, a guy who, they are saying, understands much more approximately Discworld than Terry Pratchett.
Within those pages, you'll locate musings on:
* inside adorning: "It's a truth identified through the universes that irrespective of how conscientiously the colours are selected, institutional decor finally ends up as both vomit eco-friendly, unmentionable brown, nicotine yellow, or surgical equipment purple. by means of a few little-understood technique of sympathetic resonance, corridors painted in these shades continuously scent a bit of boiled cabbage--even if no cabbage is ever cooked within the vicinity." (Equal Rites)
* commute: "Any professional traveller quickly learns to prevent something needed on them as a 'regional speciality,' simply because the entire time period ability is that the dish is so disagreeable the folks dwelling all over else will chew off their very own legs instead of consume it. yet hosts nonetheless press it upon far-off site visitors besides: 'Go on, have the dog's head filled with macerated cabbage and beef noses--it's a neighborhood speciality.'" (The final Continent)
* younger males: "And then there has been the younger male stroll. no less than ladies swung basically their hips. younger males swung every thing, from the shoulders down. you need to attempt to occupy loads of house. It makes you glance higher, like a tomcat fluffing his tail. the men attempted to stroll gigantic in self-defense opposed to all these different mammoth boys in the market. I'm undesirable, I'm fierce, I'm cool, I'd like a pint of shandy and me mam wishes me domestic by way of nine." (Monstrous Regiment)
* category: "'Old money' intended that it were made goodbye in the past that the black deeds that had initially stuffed the coffers have been now traditionally beside the point. humorous, that; a brigand for a father was once anything you stored quiet approximately, yet a slave-taking pirate for a great-great-great-grandfather was once anything to boast of over the port. Time became the evil bastards into rogues, and rogue used to be a observe with a twinkle in its eye and not anything to be ashamed of." (Making Money)
. . . and extra! Culled from the entire Discworld novels, The Wit and knowledge of Discworld confirms Pratchett's position within the pantheon of serious satirists and proves why the Chicago Tribune has praised his Discworld as "entertaining and gloriously humorous . . . an accomplishment not anything wanting magical."
Read or Download The Wit and Wisdom of Discworld PDF
Similar fantasy books
Sheltered princesses, one wounded warrior; who will reside fortunately ever after?
Princess Margrethe has been hidden away whereas her nation is at conflict. One gloomy, windswept morning as she stands in a convent backyard overlooking the icy sea, she witnesses a miracle: a glittering mermaid rising from the waves, a virtually drowned guy in her hands. by the point Margrethe reaches the shore, the mermaid has disappeared into the ocean. As Margrethe nurses the good-looking stranger again to wellbeing and fitness, she learns that not just is he a prince, he's additionally the son of her father's maximum rival. definite that the mermaid introduced this guy to her for a cause, Margrethe devises a plan to deliver peace to her kingdom.
in the meantime, the mermaid princess Lenia longs to come back to the human guy she carried to security. She is keen to alternate her domestic, her voice, or even her well-being for legs and the opportunity to win his heart….
A awesome tackle the vintage story, Mermaid is the tale of 2 girls with every little thing to lose. superbly written and compulsively readable, it'll make you think that two times concerning the fairytale you heard as a baby, protecting you in suspense until eventually the final web page.
In the early days of the Civil struggle, rumors of gold within the frozen Klondike introduced hordes of newbies to the Pacific Northwest. nervous to compete, Russian prospectors commissioned inventor Leviticus Blue to create a superb computer which could mine via Alaska’s ice. therefore used to be Dr. Blue’s magnificent Bone-Shaking Drill Engine born.
But on its first attempt run the Boneshaker went extraordinarily awry, destroying a number of blocks of downtown Seattle and unearthing a subterranean vein of blight gasoline that became an individual who breathed it into the dwelling dead.
Now it truly is 16 years later, and a wall has been outfitted to surround the devastated and poisonous urban. simply past it lives Blue’s widow, Briar Wilkes. existence is difficult with a ruined attractiveness and a teenaged boy to aid, yet she and Ezekiel are dealing with. until eventually Ezekiel undertakes a mystery campaign to rewrite history.
His quest will take him less than the wall and right into a urban teeming with starving undead, air pirates, felony overlords, and seriously armed refugees. And merely Briar can carry him out alive.
A unique approximately teenage women with superpowers and considerably various agendas, destined for a collision that may rock the world:
Separated by way of millions of miles, younger ladies are approximately to achieve their notable powers so that it will bind their lives jointly in methods they can't start to understand.
Protecting others. retaining order. Being stable. those are all very important issues for Bonnie Braverman, whether she doesn't comprehend why. restricted to a gaggle domestic considering the fact that she survived the auto coincidence that killed either her mom and dad, Bonnie has lived her existence in the past in self-imposed isolation and silence; but if a chance provides itself to assist one other woman in want, Bonnie has to come to a decision even if to truly use the ability she has lengthy suspected she has. strength that frightens her.
Across the rustic, Lola LeFever is inheriting her personal energy via sending her mom over a cliff. .. actually. For Lola the one factor that concerns is energy; getting it, taking it, and doing away with somebody who could get within the means of her pursuit of it. together with her mom useless and not anything to carry her again from the area to any extent further, Lola units off to check her personal powers on somebody unlucky sufficient to pass her. And Lola's no longer terrified of anything.
One woman pushed to rescue, keep, and heal; the opposite pushed to punish, spoil, and kill.
And now they're approximately to fulfill.
Unique book: 2003
A robust new voice in delusion fiction, the acclaimed writer of Fires of the devoted keeps her captivating epic of persecution and battle, ardour and triumph, and of the courageous younger girl who needs to reach. ..
[b]Turning the Storm
She is termed musician, insurgent, soldier, legend. After months of best an rebellion opposed to the treacherous non secular order of the Fedeli and the ruling Circle of Mages, younger Eliana is understood during the land. amazing from the blighted wastelands, her military of reformers has grown in number--adding liberated slaves to its ranks. pushed by way of their ideals within the previous approach, Eliana and the warriors of the Lupi stand on religion alone.
But religion won’t store the Lupi from traitors of their midst--or from the mystical fires of the mages. Seeing her infantrymen diminished to ashes round her, Eliana takes a determined gamble: she steps down from command. Then, armed with stolen orders to wait one of many musical ensembles in the Imperial enclave, she disguises herself as a boy, takes up her violin, and heads immediately into enemy territory. And now the girl-turned-general provides one other name to her rank: undercover agent.
- Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth, Book 4)
- The Face in the Window: A Powder Mage Short Story
- The Sorcerer's Ascension (The Sorcerer's Path, Book 1)
- Perfect State
- Veliki Blek 05
Additional resources for The Wit and Wisdom of Discworld
I don舗t want to get married to anyone yet,舗 Mort added. 舗 舖I wouldn舗t marry you if you were the last man on the Disc,舗 Ysabell said sweetly. At least I don舗t look like I舗ve been eating doughnuts in a wardrobe for years,舗 he said, as they stepped out on to Death舗s black lawn. At least I walk as if my legs only had one knee each,舗 she said. 舗 Ysabell nodded. 舖On the other hand, my ears don舗t look like something growing on a dead tree. 舗 舖A good word,舗 she conceded thoughtfully. 舗 Mort glanced sideways at the top of Ysabell舗s dress, which contained enough puppy fat for two litters of Rottweilers, and forbore to comment.
Yeff. Ooo, that waff nife, do it again 舰舗 The door opened a crack. There was a shadowy glimpse of curly hair. 舖Madam, I said we舗re cl舒舗 Keli sagged. 舖Please help me,舗 she said. 舗 said the doorknocker triumphantly. 舗 * 舖The first thing you learn when you enroll at Unseen University, I舗m afraid, is that people don舗t pay much attention to that sort of thing. 舗 舰 舖Actually it舗s not the first thing you learn when you enroll,舗 he added. 舖I mean, you learn where the lavatories are and all that sort of thing before that.
Rincewind took a deep breath. 舖Murderers, muggers, thieves, assassins, pickpockets, cutpurses, reevers, snigsmen, rapists and robbers,舗 he said. Down these mean streets a man must walk, he thought. And along some of them he will break into a run. It might be thought that the Mended Drum was a seedy disreputable tavern. In fact it was a reputable disreputable tavern. Its customers had a certain rough-hewn respectability -they might murder each other in an easygoing way, as between equals, but they didn舗t do it vindictively.